Sunday, November 13, 2011

Geneology


Hey now, Joe. This is cousin Joi.
Did you get my son Dylan Miller's message about needing to find a living immigrant in our family who would be willing to answer some questions about her/his experience for a school project?
I told him that you were familiar with the Cardinale in general, so he would like to get some names of family members from you and when/why they left Sicily?
 ·  ·  · See friendship · Friday at 12:34 near Eugene · 
    • Joe Cardinale Hi I did receive Dylan's message. What does he need to know? I don't know much but Rachel and I, mostly her, know about our relatives. I have done some research on the Ellis Island records site and have some info but there are some gaps. but we can tell him what we know.
      Friday at 20:51 · 
    • Dylan Miller Best way to explain what all I need would be linking you to the expectations for the project... So I shall.

      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xV4CgD2Eb3wfS3tTM-0Ac-ROy6K7gVdhwu6pSQgRvvE/edit
      Friday at 20:57 · 
    • Joi Cardinal 
      Joe, you're awesome! ♥ I told Dylan you knew your stuff.
      Steve, my husband of 21-1/2 years, has a mother, @Beverly Miller, who enjoyed genealogy as a hobby and was quite good. {Sadly, she has been in poor health since 9/30 when she was admitted for pulmonary embolism and general debilitation following the death of Steve's father, Henry last year.}
      Bev was always bugging me to get my family detains, so I did mess around with the Ellis Island Site.
      Always wondered, tho', so maybe you know, were our grandparents really named Mary and Joseph?
      As I understand it, Dylan would like to interview a person born in the Old Country who personally emigrated to the US and who can speak to the differences between the cultures.
      13 hours ago · 
    • Joi Cardinal 
      And while I have your attention (*-*), what was the Sunday at Grandma's experience like for you?
      I know my sibs complained bitterly about going, but it was Dad's thing, so we did it. Uncle Mike was frightening to me, the jigsaw puzzle thing? Not uncommon, I guess.
      I remember collecting for the March of Dimes with my mom and encountering several households where a slightly unusual family member was given the living as a day room and sat at similar card tables.
      I usually liked Grandma's cooking (especially chicken bits in wine), but Jill disliked "green spaghetti"{?pesto} and felt ill when smelling Parmesan cheese.
      I liked the tips to Isley's for Klondike bars.
      Did you know we had nicknames for all of you? What were Cyril and Virginia's children called?
      Do you know much Italian?
      13 hours ago · 
    • Joe Cardinale The problem is that anybody who imigrated or their kids have died at least ten years ago.
      4 hours ago · 
    • Dylan Miller Well, that's an issue...
      4 hours ago via Mobile · 
    • Joe Cardinale As for your questions We know the town in Italy they came from and family name. According to the date and area they would have come from Joseph and Maria were very young. According to the records we found the only Maria that came from the area and time they entered America she was 13 or 14 years old. So Iam not sure it was her.
      4 hours ago · 
    • Joe Cardinale 
      Well as being the only male grandson I was treated better than my sisters. The Sunday dinners were always seemed like they were such a production with the pasta and the other dishes. But every day she cooked she made a big deal about it. That is one of the saddest things about when my Grandmother got dementia or maybe even alzheimer's was that she lost that skill and her memory how to make her recipes and she was lost and didn't know what to do. One of the other things was she never wrote a recipe down because she knew it all by heart and so all that info is gone.
      4 hours ago · 
    • Joi Cardinal Well that's a bummer, @Joe Cardinale.
      Dylan, I'm confident you'll work this out.
      Still, I had an idea.
      What if Joe writes up the details of the people he would have recommended? Things like where in the old country s/he was from, how educated, how employed, social status, when s/he emigrated, why and how, then where s/he landed or settled, and whether or not the person prospered?
      Would that work as an alternate response to the assignment?
      10 minutes ago · 
    • Joi Cardinal I would love to hear more stories about our grandparents! Grandmother, tiny and wizened, producer of good cooking smells. Grandfather would give us put silver dollars. What year did your family swap houses with the old folks? My sibs were tickled by "Fresh eggs drive up to house" sign. I loved the mystery of the bunny house. What year did Grandpa pass on? Did my mom attend the funeral? Early seventies?

No comments:

Post a Comment