Sunday, January 8, 2012

PBS Profile


Steve and I have been married and sharing books for 21 years after meeting at a Mensa Summer of Love Party in 1988.  We have spawned two avid readers -- Phoebe and Dylan.   Since being disabled by a stroke in May 2006, reading has become my primary occupation.  I also continue to research "The reaction in the periodical press to the admission of women to Oxford," using both online resources and the local university library.
I have been an avid reader all my life.  Having a lovely pile of books stacked up and waiting to be read gives me the same pleasure that my mother, a child of the Depression, felt when she would go down to the basement and stare at the well-stocked shelves of staples, canned food, powdered milk for emergencies, and the huge freezer crammed full of ice cream, frozen juice, and the like. {We didn't have microwaves back in my time!}
We lived in a remote part of Pennsylvania, and from October until April never knew when we would be snowed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment