Wednesday, January 18, 2012

RHU: AWESOME MANAGER CARES ABOUT SICK EMPLOYEES



January 18, 2012


Well, I have an update that's not quite as happy as this post. The end of my Probationary period fell in sync with my returning to work and, unfortunately, it was also the end of my time at Smiling Dogs. Puppy Leader assured me it was neither my sick time nor my performance that had her letting me go, but the fact that she felt I was very high energy and working with just puppies in one room for hours would be too stifling for me(She said she thought i'd be better suited for income. Oi..). She told me to put her down as a reference for any other job I applied for and she would give me a great review(which is awesome, as a review from a local means a LOT in Hawai'i). She even put me down for pay the day she let me go, even though I didn't work.
I won't lie, I was extremely sad to go and I could tell she was a little sad, too. I shed a few tears and I really, really miss my puppies, but I honestly believe this was done with the best of intentions and I hold nothing against her. She is still one of my favorite bosses ever and i'll never forget the kindness she showed me. :)
Also, no little kitten on the way...Yet. Which I suppose is good, given the cut in income. I'm not giving up, though. >.>
On a happy note, this job has opened my eyes to a possible career that I am definitely giving serious thought to. Animal Assisted Therapy, anyone? :D

KittyKatzchen

WHOA! Retail, not income. How the hell did I get income out of retail?

Humor_Me

I was sick for three weeks with bronchitis when I worked at a very small vet clinic. There were only four people working there. The small animal vet, the large animal vet (who only stopped in for supplies and to drop off reports), the small animal vet's wife/receptionist, and me. I was the kennel help and semi-vet tech. During the three weeks I was out, that meant that the vet's wife had to cover my job and hers. It was hard on them to have to cover my position while I was out sick, but I had no choice as I was literally exhausted walking from one end of my house to the other.
You were very lucky to have an understanding boss. So many bosses nowadays just look at people as disposable. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job or how much it isn't your fault that you got sick. I applaud your boss for putting your health first and giving you time to heal and keeping you on till you got better. So many corporations would have fired you *coughWalMartcough* without so much as caring that you were a good employee and that you were a good worker. That's the problem with mega-corporations. They have lofty guys in lofty places who don't remember what it was like to have to worry about feeding their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment